Teleports-I am clueless. Have never coded before. Help?

All talk relating to Edward, the Flash platform game engine. (Forum is now locked)

Teleports-I am clueless. Have never coded before. Help?

Postby ZombieBunneh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:11 am

Teleports. They baffle me. I have absolutely no idea how to code, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how those dang teleporters work :shazbot: Am I missing something obvious? Am I just an idiot?

Thanks very much in advance for any help I may get.
ZombieBunneh
Newcomer

Re: Teleports-I am clueless. Have never coded before. Help?

Postby SophieH » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:56 pm

well coding isnt an issue, you dont have to code to make games in edward, but teleports do need to be set up.

the page on the wiki explains it:
http://edward.sophiehoulden.com/index.php?title=Teleport

I think what most people have difficulty with is that the teleport is a 'unique part' so whenever you add one you need to duplicate the symbol first and use the new one, otherwise changing it will change all the others.
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby ZombieBunneh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:03 pm

So all I need to do is change the numbers on the teleport? I thought I checked the wiki, I guess not ^_^; Sorry. Thanks a lot for being so helpful!

Edit:
I have tried again, and get this message:

TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
at Edward_mine_better_fla::platform_4/frame1()

The teleporter is on the collision level.
ZombieBunneh
Newcomer

Postby SophieH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 am

if you dont mind emailing me the .fla I could take a look and see what is going wrong :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby ZombieBunneh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 am

I downloaded alpha 7, and now teleports are working, however, when I make a change to one of the keyframes, it also changes the other keyframe. I believe I need to somehow add the level to the library, is that correct? And, if so, would you be willing to explain how that is done?
ZombieBunneh
Newcomer

Postby SophieH » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:08 pm

sure, what you need to do when you want to make a new version of a movie clip is duplicate it, theres two ways to do that in flash:

1) right click the object on the stage when it is selected. and choose "Duplicate Symbol..."
this makes a new symbol exactly like the one before, and the movie clip you right clicked becomes an instance of this new symbol.

or

2) right click the symbol in the library and choose "Duplicate"
this also makes a new symbol exactly like the first, but doesent put it anywhere in the movie until you put it there.

the reason you have to do this is when you edit a movie clip, what you are really doing is editing the Symbol, so if you edit one movie clip, it changes all the other movieclips that are of the same Library Symbol. so to make 'unique' stuff you must make new symbols. :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby ZombieBunneh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 am

I was practically tearing my hair out for a while there, but I finally got it to work :DD Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient!
ZombieBunneh
Newcomer

Return to Edward Topics