Edward Alpha 7 Released

All talk relating to Edward, the Flash platform game engine. (Forum is now locked)

Edward Alpha 7 Released

Postby SophieH » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:31 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

follwed a link to this page and dont know what Edward is? check the wiki :ARGH:

grab it at the Edward download page.
play the example level here

this is the biggest alpha update in quite a long time, mostly because its the only update I've posted in a long time (sorry about that) but also because I added some cool stuff which I am pretty happy with.

Most important thing added I think is the message windows, if you want dialogue in your games, tv screens to examine, or just about anything you want the player to examine and have stuff appear they are the way to go. (on a personal note, I think my implementation of these is the most elegant bit of actionscript I've ever done ^_^)
after that cool stuff includes the much requested scroll limiters so the view doesent go past a certain point, and also the insanely over-requested 'enemy' which you bastards just wouldnt stop asking for ;)
also added is a 'reinitialise' part, so you can change the settings on the initialise frame, after the initialise frame. useful if you have a game on a space station where rooms have different gravity, or you want to confuse the player by changing the controls ;)
a few other additions and tweaks and that is Alpha 7 :D

and whilst I'm posting, I just want to say I'm gearing up for Beta1 release, which will essentially be Edward 'feature complete' with whatever bugs and glitches werent caught in the alphas, Beta 1 will be what I see as edwards first 'major' release when I'll go round forums linking to it and the like, and maybe make a game with Edward myself to *try* and show off what can be done with it.

what that actually means is if there is a feature not listed on the 'yet to be added' list on the front page of the wiki that hasnt been suggested yet in the Request list now is your last chance to ask, as once Beta1 is hit, I wont be considering new features until after version 1 is out and I have ported to flash 8 too, and that could be a long ways away, I'm a busy gal ;)
SophieH
Site Admin

Re: Edward Alpha 7 Released

Postby MakotoNinja » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Hey cool! I noticed you didn't put the falling platforms in; will that be included in the v1 release?
MakotoNinja
Player

Postby SophieH » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 am

yeah, falling platforms will make it in without question. in fact they are probably the next thing I'll add :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby dusker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Hey, I love the Dialog sequences you have now, they are really well done. I'm trying to bring it over to alpha 6 since thats the version i've been modifying and working with for the past couple months now. Check out Turtle in the WIP forums. Keep up the good work!
dusker
Newcomer

Postby thatjoshguy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:46 am

YIPPIE!!!!!

ok, i can be more detailed than that... LOVE the new release, can't wait to mess around with it and make something cool! I went through al the requests in the request thread and cleaned them up a bit for you, and added a few more of my own :)
thatjoshguy
Power Player

Postby Danny's » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:14 pm

:bounce: YEY :)
I really liked it, it's really a big improvment and now you expiriance in more stuff :)
but i have a few problem ( HO NOES ! )
1. When you see the messeges screen the player pauses on the last animation seen, and you can change the animation by pressing the moving arrows :arrow:
2. If you reach the end of a ladder, and press on a side arrow and the up arrow togather, the player will move, and if you stop in the middle he gets back to the same point :(

Can you fix it?
Danny's
Newcomer

Postby ggunther » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Since it was overlooked. I just wanted to say THANK YOU from all of us.

Thank you for creating 'EDWARD', Thank you for even updating it to a version 7.

This engine has been a great help for me learning and actually implementing AS3 programming. It's like the ultimate example, and it works well.

Thanks again.
ggunther
Newcomer

Return to Edward Topics