The speed of light!

All talk relating to Edward, the Flash platform game engine. (Forum is now locked)

The speed of light!

Postby Pixel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:48 pm

I have a slight problem with the Edward engine. Everything was working out fine until I decided that one of the levels should have a cutscene where the player was still able to move around. So I duplicated the level symbol, opened it up and animated the cutscene. Upon testing it, however, when the game gets to the cutscene, everything suddenly moves at warp speed and the game speeds through the cutscene faster than I can blink. The same goes for the character, as he suddenly becomes able to practically teleport across the screen, subsiding when the cutscene ends (which, at its new speed, only takes 3 seconds). The point of this is: is there anyway to have an animation playing in the background while the character is still able to move around? I tried putting the cutscene into an MC and then putting that MC into the "Level 4" MC but everything still goes Speedy Gonzales. Help? (keep in mind that I am still adjusting to AS3, so if at one point you ever think "No, that can't be the problem... its too simple for anyone to mess up" then thats probably it.)

EDIT: And since I'm already making a post, I might as well ask: What code do I need to type up if I'm trying to make a hitTest (which are apparently called "hitTestObjects" now) between the "mcPlayer" and another MC with the instance name of "horror"? I'm trying to make it so that when the mcPlayer hits the "horror" MC, the "horror" MC plays its frames.

EDITEDIT: ARRRGH I feel like I'm asking a lot, but this is just as a precaution in regards to my previous edit. I'm not sure if it'll be a problem, but just incase it happens, is it possible to make it so that when the "horror" MC plays its frames, it won't replay them when the mcPlayer touches it again? I just need it to play once, rather than every time the mcPlayer touches it. I've been testing out some actionscripting to try and solve this myself, but its so different from AS2 that I haven't been having much luck :(

EDITEDITEDIT: OH I FEEL SILLY! It seems that the solution to my "EDIT" post was already in the Edward engine all along under the name "animation"! Bravo! Feel free to ignore that edit. However, I still seem to have that "speeding" problem in the first paragraph and the "repeating animation" problem in the third.
Pixel
Newcomer

Re: The speed of light!

Postby Fliberdigibit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 am

I'm not too sure about the frame rate speed up problem, but the animation repeat problem is easy. Sophie was nice enough to include it in her Ed Engine v.7 site....

check out this link, and it should provide you with the answers you're looking for :mrgreen:

http://edward.sophiehoulden.com/index.p ... =Animation

hope that helps a little.

Flibers
Fliberdigibit
Newcomer

Postby SophieH » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 am

you should be able to have any movieclip in the background of a level, or even on the main timeline behave normally, perhaps it's because you duplicated the level and made the animation inside that?

level movieclips are designed to be only one frame long, I havent testd them if you add extra frames, so it's better to put your animation in another movieclip and then put that in the level.

as for making it so an animation part plays only once, set the 'Count' text box to 1, that should do it :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby Pixel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm

I rechecked my FLA and, unfortunately, the "level" MC and the background scene are separate MC's. In fact, the background scene is on the main timelime. I've uploaded an FLA of the default "Edward" MC with the background MC in it as well. Maybe you can find out just what is causing this massive speedup.

http://rapidshare.com/files/334308304/T ... m.fla.html
Pixel
Newcomer

Postby SophieH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 am

ok, first of all I have to admit I have no idea why it was playing sped up there, there was nothing in the fla to make it do that.

that said, I did manage to get it to stop being crazy by selecting all the frames in the movieclip, copying them, pasting them into a totally new movie clip (not one based off a level) and then putting that movieclip on the stage instead. (it also works fine to put the movieclip inside the level too)

my guess is it's some flash bug causing the issue, but just to be safe I'd recommend not making animation movieclips from level movieclips, just do a vanilla [ Insert > New Symbol ]
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby Pixel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

It works! No idea what the problem was but it works now! Thanks so much for the assistance! :powerglomp:
Pixel
Newcomer

Return to Edward Topics