Space Olympics 3XX

Making a game with Edward? make a Work In Progress thread here to show it off, and maybe even get some of that feedback thing! (forum is now locked)

Space Olympics 3XX

Postby McZero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm

My game is Space Olympics 3XXX. The story is over the years the Olympics eventually turned into a giant obstacle course with electric panels(fryer) lasers(I don't know, maybe I'll take the fryers code and apply it to a line), missiles (moving fryers, but how do I make them respawn?), moving ceilings that will crush the player(a fryer that I will tween to crush the player). There is a problem though, half of my player model goes through the floor, when I try to stretch the hitbox he still goes trhough the floor, but can't jump. Can someone fiddle with the .fla to help me? Another problem is that when he touches a fryer the death animation doesn't play, he just automatically goes back to the player starting point.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/25b4f81207ef6edbf23bc11732ede5ff <<<< .fla
Someone help please.
.swf >> http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d9a ... 2fbe6684ce
McZero
Newcomer

Re: Space Olympics 3XX

Postby SophieH » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:23 am

ok, a few things to adress here:

1) the player character should have it's feet at the orogin point, move your player art up and then you can stretch the collision to fit :)

2) you dont need to drop level parts out as much as that, this is not a tile based engine, and the more level parts you use the game will eventually run slower, instead you can scale the parts. for example the floor where you have lots of platforms one after the other, it would work just as well (if not better) to have one platform that was stretched lengthways.

3) regarding tweening a fryer, I honestly dont know how that will turn out, I didn't code to allow for that but off the top of my head I cant think why it wouldnt work.

4) I made a post in the suggestions thread about your missle issue ;)

5) as for the lasers, if tweening does work, you could have a fryer that is as wide as the room one frame, and then only a couple of pixels wide the next. it might be an idea to get in touch with Greg Lieberman who made 'Kory the thief' http://kwarp.com/portfolio/korythethief.html as that is an edward game that had lasers in it. (I dont know specifically how they were done though)

EDIT: actually after playing that game again it looks like the lasers seem to be regular fryers, not animated 'appear-disappear' type ^_^;
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby McZero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 am

GirlFlash wrote:ok, a few things to adress here:

1) the player character should have it's feet at the orogin point, move your player art up and then you can stretch the collision to fit :)
Oh Ok
2) you dont need to drop level parts out as much as that, this is not a tile based engine, and the more level parts you use the game will eventually run slower, instead you can scale the parts. for example the floor where you have lots of platforms one after the other, it would work just as well (if not better) to have one platform that was stretched lengthways.
Right
3) regarding tweening a fryer, I honestly dont know how that will turn out, I didn't code to allow for that but off the top of my head I cant think why it wouldnt work.
Ok
4) I made a post in the suggestions thread about your missle issue ;)
Thanks
5) as for the lasers, if tweening does work, you could have a fryer that is as wide as the room one frame, and then only a couple of pixels wide the next. it might be an idea to get in touch with Greg Lieberman who made 'Kory the thief' http://kwarp.com/portfolio/korythethief.html as that is an edward game that had lasers in it. (I dont know specifically how they were done though)
right
EDIT: actually after playing that game again it looks like the lasers seem to be regular fryers, not animated 'appear-disappear' type ^_^;

Oh and one thing, how do I get my death animation to play? I know I made one, and it took me a couple of hours.
McZero
Newcomer

Postby SophieH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am

just touching a fryer the player should display its death animation. it will play to the end of the death anims timeline before respawning.
SophieH
Site Admin

Return to Edward WIPs