Projectiles & Baddies - Implimented (!tested)

Making a game with Edward? make a Work In Progress thread here to show it off, and maybe even get some of that feedback thing! (forum is now locked)

Projectiles & Baddies - Implimented (!tested)

Postby MakotoNinja » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 am

Aloha everyone,
I am new to this board and I would like to say hello as well as how awesome it is of you Sophie to have generated and give away this engine AND providing a community for it as well. Long story short, i was looking for a game engine of sorts to allow me to do more game making rather than programming and I found this engine/community after quite a long search through many flash engines including pushbutton (a bit over my head at the moment), citrus (not available - and costs $). I am new to AS3 which was/is a bit intimidating, though I managed to port some AS2 scripts from Philip Radvan's site http://www.freeactionscript.com for projectile weapons and particle splatters.
It seems I have successfully given the hero the ability to shoot projectiles that will collide with any/some/all of the level items as well as introduced some very basic enemy AI that when the game starts will travel vertically down the screen until they hit a platform to which they will travel left to right detecting the edge of their platform and turn to go back the other way. I plan to have the AI shoot at the hero as well and of course have contact damage.
http://iloveninja.com/games/ed_ninja.html
(point and click to fire weapon)

Anyways, thanks again Sophie for providing all of this and I hope you continue to work on this project.
MakotoNinja
Player

Re: Projectiles & Baddies - Implimented (!tested)

Postby SophieH » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:11 am

hey now, thats really cool!

I see you even have the projectiles hitting the slopes at the right spot, a very impressive implementation indeed, especially for someone new to AS3.
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby MakotoNinja » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Aloha Sophie,
I read in another post that you were reluctant to include this type of game play to keep the engine geared more towards adventure rather than action but if you would like to include these options in a future release it seems that it would be well received. The code may be a bit flawed at the moment (still shoving spoon fulls of AS3 into my gray matter) especially in the case where I try to remove a baddie after being shot I get an error of...

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at ed_ninja_fla::BaddieType1_10/frame1()

...although all intentions seem to be executed visually. The code for the baddies' AI is inside of the baddie MovieClip which may or not be a good thing and the code for the projectiles/collisions is inside the level MovieClip which I already see IS a bad thing (I guess both are bad really, since I didn't take advantage of what the many tutorials of AS3 report to use "true OOP") but if you're willing to implement this into the engine I'd love to see the code transformed by a proper programmer.

by the by, I simply lost it when I played with your Bounceicles.
MakotoNinja
Player

Postby DarkNemo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 pm

I tried to add things to the code too, but I'm very bad and always have errors like the one you mention, Makoto. To make some new items with collisions, for example.
Is it really hard to add more code to Edward ? Or is it AS3 that is the problem ?
DarkNemo
Player

Postby MakotoNinja » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 pm

The coding for Edward in my opinion is pretty solid and is written in the time line like yesteryear's AS2 flow which makes it easier for newcomers to AS3 to work with and modify. I think that for me, the errors are due to my lack of AS3 knowledge and not the way Edward is written.
I plan on posting the source of my project when I've completed the mods I want and worked the bugs out, although if someone wants to see it before it's finished; I can post it up then too.
MakotoNinja
Player

Postby DarkNemo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Well, I'd like to see your code, yes, if you can share it :)
It could help me for my second project too (I'll create a topic soon with some playable stuff).
By the way, maybe we can help eachother :)
DarkNemo
Player

Postby MakotoNinja » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Sure, no problem. I have since made some other changes to the code, but here it is as it was when i posted the demo.
http://iloveninja.com/games/Edward_v0a6_cs3_v001.fla
It isn't well commented so you may have to sift through it a bit. As far as working together on projects, sure that's fine as long as I have time, but with trying to keep two businesses afloat I have to truthfully say they wouldn't be my top priority.
MakotoNinja
Player

Level Boundries (Stops the scrolling)

Postby MakotoNinja » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:05 am

Another thing I had wanted to add to this engine was the boundaries of levels; so that when a boundary is reached the map stops scrolling and the hero can actually reach the edge of the map. What I've done is create two new symbols; one for the bottom left and one for the top right boundary. You would place these anywhere inside the map MovieClip to define their respective corners. I also implemented a fallback to the scrolling method defined in the initialization frame if one of the corners is not defined.

For whatever reason when viewed in Firefox, it seems that Firefox is scaling the swf down from 550x400 to 500x346, which I guess in turn is changing the dimensions of the Stage and therefor my code for starting/stopping the movement of that map is not working correctly. Chrome and IE seem to display the correct size. Anyone know a cause for this?

/* Edit */
figured out the Firefox thing, sometimes i can be really stoopid.
Last edited by MakotoNinja on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakotoNinja
Player

Updated Baddie Behavior

Postby MakotoNinja » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 am

Updated the baddie behavior. Enemies now pause before turning the other way as well as hurt the hero on contact which makes the hero bounce away and flicker with that classic invulnerability. Next to add a life gauge.
MakotoNinja
Player

Life Gauge and Health Pickups

Postby MakotoNinja » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:00 am

Just finished putting in a Life Gauge, and it's animated using the tween class. Also made Health pickups, both partial and full health restoration, and along with the whole mortality thing, I also added an Extra Lives element. Next, I may tackle different weapon pickups.
All this programming... I cant wait to work on the graphics.
MakotoNinja
Player

Next

Return to Edward WIPs